Thursday 6 December 2012

Q&A with Member of the Month - Mairi Morse


Mairi is a B2P tri club regular who comes to sessions consistently throughout the year and is beginning to show massive improvements, particularly on the track! We have been impressed with her attitude and commitment, therefore she is a perfect choice for our inaugural Member of the Month award. B2P caught up with Mari to find out just what makes her tick when it comes to tri...

Hi Mairi, so how did you get into triathlon?

I first got interested around six years ago when I caught a bit of the Windsor triathlon when visiting one weekend.  A few years later I had moved here and looked into local clubs to join but, not having come from any of the disciplines and not being super fit, the whole scene seemed a bit intimidating.  Then last October I took part in my first half marathon and wanted another challenge.  The next day I happened to talk to someone who had done the B2P track session and they recommended this and B2P as a friendly club to join.   

Mairi in action this year the National relays

Which is your favourite discipline? If you have a least favourite discipline, how do you motivate yourself to train for that too?

I have really enjoyed swimming this year, especially through the summer when the lake was open.  Having the social aspect to run training helps keep me motivated.  On my longer runs, the more distance I manage the more confidence I gain, which helps.  And the cycling.... I'm still trying to motivate myself for that one! 

Triathlon can take up a lot of time! Do you find it tough fitting everything in?

Training seems to go through phases, fitting lots in some weeks and not much others.  Generally I try to keep a sustainable balance between work, social life and training.  My main aim is just to train as much as is enjoyable and build the distance slowly.

What has been your favourite event to date and why?

It was great to compete at the National Relays (Holme Pierrepont, Nottingham) with so many B2Pers but my favourite event was probably the Eton Super Sprint as it was my first.  

What are your goals for 2013?

I have signed up for my first marathon and olympic distance tri in 2013 so completing these is my main goal.  I am also hoping to achieve my first sub 2 hour half marathon.

What would you say to any beginners who may be tempted to try triathlon but are a bit nervous about doing so?

It is not as intimidating as it can seem.  Through training and races I have seen such a huge variety of people taking part in the sport.  As a beginner I'm often the last to finish in training and towards the back at races but have always felt supported and encouraged - both from those at B2P and from others I've met - and get a massive sense of achievement from the sport!

Thanks for your time Mairi and best of luck with your future races! 

No comments:

Post a Comment